Saturday, December 09, 2006

Life

I occasionally sit and wonder if I am on the right path in life and how I came to be the person I am. I imagine that many people struggle with this same question.

Truly, there are more questions than answers but I sometimes feel compelled to dig for some sort of answer.

There are some people who believe that ‘things happen for a reason'. I strongly believe that things do happen for a reason but not because it is some sort pre-conceived destiny. Things happen because of choices we make.

A friend once told me, “You are simply floating through life”. This statement has had a profound affect on my psyche. I can truly admit that in my early twenties, I was floating through life. All my decision during that time in my life were decisions made on a whim. I never took future aspiration or consequences into account. I simply lived day-to-day.

Things have dramatically changed since those days of hasty decision making. I now have a growing family and goals. It is often the case that I ask myself, “What changed me”. Truthfully, I do not know.

What I realized is that in life, there are drivers and passengers.

During a late evening in which I tried to motivate my son to complete his homework, the topic of drivers and passengers surfaced. I tried to explain the importance of school and striving for success in life. In trying to explain this “theory” to my son, I explained that in life there are people that “float through life” as my friend once stated and people that make things happen.

I asked him, “Do you want to live life as a passenger, letting life and others lead you wherever they want or do you want to be a driver”. He looked at me with a smile and said “I want to drive”.

Jumping from the back-seat to the driver seat in life is an important step everyone must take if they hope to live a fulfilling life; a life that is truly gratifying. Unfortunately, most people do not make that jump and live the rest of their life struggling, being unhappy.

I feel that I made the life saving jump several years back. Making this jump took courage and risk. As an example, I shifted from full-time to part-time work in order to go back to school. This was a great risk for my family but it seems to be working out for the better. Simply being able to write this entry is a testament of the intellectual progress I have made in my life.

It is my hope that all the people in my life; especially my kids learn that they are the driving force behind their own lives. They are the ones that need to make things happen. As I tell my kids, you can become anything you want in life!

It is time to move forward!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home